Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Quilting in my Family

Quilting in my family was very important when I was a child. My mother and some of my aunts all made quilted blocks and made them into quilts.. I remember my mother carding wool given to her by her brother from his own sheep. When the wool was first brought home by my mother from her brother's place was all rough and had thorns and stuff that the sheep got into, before the wool was sheared off the sheep. She had wooden cards, or wooden paddles with nail-like things to kind of clean out and sort out the wool to prepare it to be used as the stuffing put between two fabric parts--the front part made up of pieced blocks and the backing, sometimes made from one color or pieced also. She had huge wooden frames, to hold the basted quilt to work in the patterned quilted stich lines. Sometimes she would make a quick tuffed quilt, putting in tufts of thread scattered throughout the quilt instead of stitching lines.
Sometimes instead of a pieced quilt she would make an appliqued one. I remember one she made appliqueing fan shaped forms to each block. Another one had the little sunshine girl with a sunbonnet applique. She also made one with pansy appliques.

No comments:

Post a Comment