Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Idolina Gracia-daughter of Josefa Gracia

I have a very clear memory of the day my cousin Idolina Gracia was born. (I now know this happened on December 14, 1947)
My aunt Fita was living in a small rented house in the backyard of a woman named Dona Angelita, half a block away from a corner store about five blocks down the street from my mother's and my home on Iowa street. My mom and I were at my Aunt's house and so was my Uncle Nazario when Dr. Glass came to deliver my cousin. Uncle Nazario, being a man and me , being three years old , were thrown out of the small house to fend for ourselves. I remember clearly my Uncle placing me atop the fence post in the yard and holding ,me there as we watched some cats playing across the street and watching the cars pass while we waited for my cousin to be born. The fence post was a railroad tie anout 8 inches in diameter and ample room for me to sit atop of it and heavy chicken wire with 2 inch squares was nailed to the huge posts as a fence.
I remember later when we went back in to see my newborn cousin wrapped in blankets and was told her name was Idolina!

No comments:

Post a Comment